Advancing LGBT+ Human Rights For Tanzanians
Join us in championing equal rights for the LGBT+ community in Tanzania. Your generous donation fuels our mission, empowering us to break down barriers and create a more inclusive and accepting society for all.
Our Vision and Mission
LGBT Voice’s work is guided by five core values.
We believe all people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity, have equal rights to a fair and equitable society.
Our strength is in community. We work to build relationships and organizations that serve LGBT people.
We promote the idea that love, respect and acceptance should be afforded to individuals, regardless of who they are.
Openness, Inclusion, and Partnership
We seek to form inclusive partnerships with government and policy makers, educational and religious institutions, healthcare providers, media and the entertainment industry, legal professionals and community allies.
Ending anti-LGBT discrimination
We are actively working toward a society where individuals of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions are treated with dignity, respect, and equality.
What We Do
We promote LGBT+ rights in Tanzania and provide practical help to individuals in need.
Provide Health Care Access
- More than 2 million LGBT people in Tanzania do not have access to quality health services, including HIV prevention, treatment care, and support, due to prejudice based on gender identity and sexual orientation.
- LGBT Voice works in partnership with health providers who run LGBT+ friendly facilities in Dar es Salaam to provide free quality health services to LGBT+ people.
- LGBT Voice provides immediate aid to people in crisis situations, including when a LGBT person is denied access to health clinics, is evicted from their home, is fired from their job or is expelled from school for sexual orientation reasons.
- We can also help in situations involving false charges and the police, wrongful termination from employment or even helping individuals obtain asylum in other countries.
- We work towards the development and implementation of laws and policies that protect and promote the rights of LGBT individuals in Tanzania.
- Networking and empowering community based organizations, training leaders and public advocates and monitoring legislation to ensure the LGBT community is considered.
- We are a watchdog and advocate to the media, empowering real people to share their stories, while holding the media accountable for the words and images they present.
- As more Tanzanians see our stories in newspapers, on our website and social media sites, or in entertainment media, they will grow to respect and understand our community, paving the way to full equality.
As a gay man who has been denied access to health services several times due to my sex orientation, I was looking for a way to help end this problem in Tanzania.
James Wandera Ouma
Executive Director, LGBT Voice Tanzania